I can't seem to leave the kitchen can I? Now with the cabinets done, I've decided to add a couple more finishing touches to make the cabinets look a little more upgraded.
This upgrade includes one of my favorite things... moulding! While writing the original draft for this post I was sitting with my feet against one of the bottom boards, holding it in place while the wood glue dried... I know, all I used was wood glue, but I finished the pieces before installing them, so I didn't want to have to nail them in and then patch over the nail hole (like I had to do on the top). And I guess this board wasn't as straight as I thought it was either. :)
So, back to the cabinets. One thing that always bothers me is how tons of crumbs always seem to get stuck under the cabinets. Plus, whoever installed the wood floors in our house did not do a very good job, You can see where the slats end under the cabinets... that's where all of the crumbs gather. Yuck! In order to remedy this gross issue, I've decided to add moulding to the bottom of the cabinets. This will make them look a little more dressy and will keep more nasty crumbs from sneaking under there.
|Here's a before shot - see all of the crumbs!|
So, I cut the pieces of moulding for wherever the cabinets were, stained them with two coats of Early American stain, and slapped on a coat of polyacrylic. Then I used wood glue to adhere them to the base of the cabinets.
No more crumbs!! Plus now they have this nice furniture-esque look to them.
I liked it so much that I decided to use the extra pieces I had to also add moulding to the top of the cabinets. I just used the same pine baseboard moulding that I used on the bottom that was 2.5" high.
Here are some whole kitchen shots.
Click Here to see the instructions on re-staining kitchen cabinets.