Sunday, June 2, 2013

Chair Rails and Paint Chips



Chair Rails and Paint Chips in the Main Floor Bathroom

Last we left, the beadboard wallpaper was up and the fixtures were swapped out.  This weekend it was time to install the chair rail moulding and select a paint color.

First, was the chair rail.  When installing any kind of moulding, I've learned three things.
  1. Always cut your piece slightly longer than you think it needs to be.  It's always easier to shave a little bit more off  than have to start that piece over because it's too short (I've learned from experience).
  2. I've found that I get more accurate measurements when I hold a piece up to the wall rather than using a tape measure.  
  3. Caulk is a magical substance.  Sometimes I think there's nothing that caulk can't hide!  Don't work about cracks between the moulding pieces, those will be filled in with caulk later.  Once you paint over everything you won't even know your pieces didn't butt up perfectly.
When installing the chair rail, I started with the largest wall first and then began to work my way outward from there.

To attach it to the wall, I simply used construction adhesive and taped it up with blue painters tape.







Once it has dried (usually overnight), you can remove the blue tape.  If you choose to use paintable wall paper PLEASE BE CAREFUL when you remove the tape.  It tends to tear small pieces of the paper off.  Lessons learned right.

Next, it's time to add the caulk.  I caulked all of the places where the moulding met the wall and the joints where the moulding met in the corners.  I also caulked a couple of places where the paper separated and you could see the seam.  That helped make it less noticeable.

I personally like to use my finger first when removing the caulk and then finish with a wet paper towel to remove any excess.  I find that using your finger creates a smoother line.  But whatever works best for you, do it!

And last was selecting the paint color.  I was strongly considering a robin's egg blue, or a Tiffany Blue.


It's the perfect shade of a blue-green (more on the blue side).  However, when I brought the samples into the bathroom they felt very beachy.   I have seen many beautiful beach-themed bathrooms but that style just isn't me.  I'm definitely more of an autumn... I love richer deeper colors.  So, I went back to Home Depot and grabbed a couple of light beige samples as well as a couple of darker turquoise samples just for fun.


These were the finalists.  As simple and classic as a beige would look, I was really in need of some color.  I've recently repainted most of the house gray and greige colors, so it seemed appropriate that I take advantage of a smaller space to put some color into.

So I took a leap and decided on Dragonfly by Behr (the fourth color in from the left).  I have to say it looks awesome with the white beadboard.

Here's a couple of shots (the paint isn't fully dry - hence the shine).  It's slightly more green than I thought it would be, but I really like it.  I still need to paint the trim and beadboard a nice glossy white, but here's the Dragonfly color on the walls.




It think the rich color makes it look a little less country and a little more traditional.

Just because it's one of my favorite things to do, here's a good before and after.

The day we moved in.
Today

2 comments:

  1. I just came across your website in Pinterest and thought I'd have a look around. I'm so glad I did! I think your bathroom looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
10