I've already tried a couple of techniques: If you haven't already checked out the post on my stain test, click here. It includes step by step photos and instructions on how I used stain to update the doors of our bathroom vanity. You can also read more about how we used moulding a paint to upgrade another vanity here.
Here's a before shot of the bathroom.
|Here's a shot with the original cabinet color.|
For the frames of the vanity, I used 120 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface. Then I applied one coat of General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain with a foam brush. Your first coat will come out a little blotchy but be sure to give your cabinets a good even coat.
Once that dried, I applied a coat of Rustoleum Stain in Carrington with a foam brush. The actual color is much closer to the reddish brown color in the image below. Sometimes in photos the stain comes across as espresso when in person it's more of a rich brown with a tint of red.
I also stained the remaining two doors, but this time only used one coat of gel stain and applied both coats of stain with a foam brush.
This project was very easy - I would say that even a novice could take it on! If you feel uncomfortable, try it on a bathroom vanity (start with the back of a door). If you hate the way it turns out, you can always paint over it!
Here's a final shot of the vanity with the doors installed. I absolutely love the outcome and hope to apply the same technique to our kitchen cabinets in the fall.